An inside look: Fulling Mill designer ‘Curtis Fry’ and what’s in his fly box?
We’ve gathered a handful of FM designers to delve into their fishy brains in better hopes of finding out a little bit more about them.
Greetings, Curtis. How are you these days? Hopefully you’re finding some time to get away to your local or not so local fishery to get some good days in on the water. Would you mind taking the time to answer a couple of questions below? This is to get our consumers better acquainted with our designers and give them a better understanding of who you are and what you enjoy doing most… fishing!
FM – So, Curtis give us a little background on yourself? Who you are and where do you reside?
- I’m a dedicated computer nerd who plays Fortnight 20 hours a day living in my parents’ basement. j/k. I spend my time divided between work and family with some fishing and tying thrown in there for a good mix. I’ve been tying flies for around 30 years.
FM – Very nice, I live and die by Fortnight myself… I mean… fly tying.
FM – How do you spend your time when not fishing?
- I like to spend time with the family, our dogs (and a much lesser extent – our cats) and I also have this other hobby called Fly Fish Food that takes a fair bit of time on the business end.
FM – Family time is definitely important. Your guys’ shop is really taking off since you opened the doors! It’s so nice to hear success stories like this in our little industry.
FM – When fishing, what are your favorite species to chase?
- I’m more drawn to high mountain species of trout like Brookies, Cutts and the like. I also really like to chase bass.
FM – Can’t argue with you here. Brookies were a staple for me growing up as well, I think a lot of us here on the East coast can relate well with your statement. Wish we had Cutties though…
FM – Do you prefer fishing in lakes/ponds or rivers/streams?
- High mountain lakes…good. Rivers….good. Streams….good.
FM – A true angler’s answer.
FM – Drift boat or wading, which do you prefer?
- Drift boat all the way.
FM – I can see why! With Cheech behind the oars… You’re completely safe… right?!
FM – What’s your favorite food item to pack for lunch/snack?
- Gotta be beef jerky and cheeses with a trail mix to boot. Diet Dew in the tumbler and plenty of water.
FM – Solid choices. Meat, cheese, carbs and sugar. Essential building blocks in the angler’s diet.
FM – If given the choice, what fly would you fish for a whole day? Nymph, streamer, dry, emerger, wet (or salt if applicable)? Why?
- I’d probably go with a Moodah Poodah since it’s a good one for all water types and is a great dry fly. I’ve been able to use it as an attractor as well as fooling fish that are keyed into a specific bug.
FM – It really is a great all-around fly. We’ve had superb success with it in the East when Summer rolls around. The olive version is just unfair at times.
FM – What is your tried and true method of choice when fishing?
- Rivers, it would be a Euro rig. Lakes would be either a midge tip or some other slower sinking line.
FM – Understandable. I think it’s safe to say that the “euro” methods are here to stay and aren’t just a fad. The evidence is everywhere… now if we can just get more people fishing still-waters for trout.
FM – What would be your most memorable catch?
- When I was a kid, tying up some black ants with my Mom’s black yarn and throwing them at hungry brookies on a high mountain lake. That’s one of the “light bulb” moments for me in tying and fishing. Also, I caught a huge brown trout once that Cheech fumbled out of the net before we could snap a photo. That would have been my fish of a lifetime but there’s no evidence it ever happened. <sniff>
FM – Black ants with Mom’s yarn… I’m sure she didn’t mind! Great story. Sorry to hear about Cheech fumbling the football! Don’t worry though, we believe you!
FM – What destinations (if any) are on your bucket list? Have you already been there?
- I’d like to try for Bonefish in Belize or the Bahamas and I’d also like to fish all over the Patagonia region of Argentina and Chile.
FM – Those are some killer places. It’ll absolutely ruin you if you make it to either of them! In a good way of course. We hope you do someday.
Curtis, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. Be well and make sure Cheech is on his best behavior!